FIRST SITE: 1856 – 1897 / Ninth and Chestnut
This building was the first home of Louisville Male High School on its opening day, April 7, 1856. The school grew to an enrollment of over 200 young men. The first principal was W. H. Harney. He served in this prestigious position from 1856-1857. The most notable principal at this first site was Maurice “Hoss” Kirby. For eleven years, 1886-1897, Kirby dedicated his time and talents to the position of principal.
The first two graduates of Male High School in 1859 were Lewis D. Kastenbine (who later became a physician in Louisville) and James S. Pirtle (later became a prominent Louisville judge). The first football game was played in 1893 (Male vs. Manual) with Male beating Manual 14-12. This marked the beginning of what is today the oldest high school rivalry in America.
SECOND SITE: 1898 - 1915 / First Street near Chestnut
Two of this sites’ most notable principals are Rueben Post Halleck (1897-1912) and S.B. Tinsley (1912-1915). It was at this location that Male received its first International recognition. At the 1904 World’s Fair in St. Louis, Missouri, a Gold Medal for excellence was given to only 5 schools in the world. Male was the only high school in America to receive this Medal.
Also at this location, High School Park was established at the later Male Brook & Breckinridge school site. This was the first high school athletic facility in America. It has been in continuous use since 1901.
THIRD SITE: 1915 - 1991 / Corner of Brook Street and Breckinridge Avenue
Male continued to receive many awards of excellence during its tenure at the famed Brook and Breck location. The band and orchestra received state and national championship awards in 1927.
The journalism and physics department have received national awards as well as a 1989 American High School of Excellence Award. The gymnasium completed the high school facilities in 1939 with its official title, “Pap Glenn Gymnasium” and the High School Park was renamed Maxwell Field. Notable principals at this location include J.B. Carpenter (1919-1931), W.S. Milburn (1931-1961), Dr. Irvin Rice (1977-1979), and R. Ted Boehm (1979-1992).
CURRENT SITE: Preston Highway
In August 1991, Male moved to its current campus at 4409 Preston Highway, an educational facility that doubled the instructional, laboratory, library and campus space. Since it has moved to this location, the school has won two U.S. Department of Education Blue Ribbon awards.
The site was previously Sallie P. Durrett High School, which became the Durrett Education Center in the early 1980s and was used by Jefferson County Public Schools Library Media Services until 1991. The adjoining Gheens Academy, which opened in 1983, was previously Prestonia Elementary School.
This campus has an 8,000 seat football stadium, softball stadium, baseball stadium, soccer/lacrosse stadium and we lease land for a field hockey stadium. It has a state of the art Fine Arts/Gheens Auditorium which seats 1,6000 and houses our Band, Orchestra and Chorus department.